early morning, red, white & maple ...

7/5/13

this past weekend I was up to my eyeballs in paint. currently there are more paint cans sitting throughout my house than there are rooms that need to be painted. insert sigh. however, all those projects aside, this past monday (july 1st) was good ol' Canada day here. the day we celebrate this beautiful country with fireworks, neighbourhood street parties, maple treats and red & white clothing. much like the proud citizen that I am, I decided to get up early and surprise my better half with some festive pancakes to mark the occasion. with everything we had going on that day, I knew we wouldn't be able to make it out to group celebrations, but I didn't want the day to pass without some kind of patriotic recognition. we just love you Canada. so red and white brunch pancakes it was. they were a big hit and in fact this might just become a Canada Day tradition now. i should mention that this was the first time i've made had what i consider to be "fluffy" pancakes like this, but I am happy to share that I successfully followed the Basic Pancake recipe from Martha Stewart (she has saved me on many occasion in need). who knew it only took baking powder to make them fluffy like that?! once you have your batter made, separate it into two bowls and add red food colouring to one until you get the colour you are after. i find gel food colouring works colour wonders over the drops. lastly, i highly recommend you make them small and stack them up tall! I think it is way more fun to eat like that, not to mention you get a better contrast of colours!

OOMPHLOVE All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger