Tried & True : Skincare

2/17/12

I have been on a lifelong hunt for the best, most simple, skincare routine and because of that I find people frequently ask me what products I'm currently using.  I admit that I am what most people might call a "product junkie" when it comes to skincare, makeup and haircare. I am not driven by the idea of finding a "magic product", but I do live for the test, try, examine and repeat philosophy. I love to do my research on all products and thoroughly enjoy testing them all, so that I can knowledgeably recommend and what I would and wouldn't use. As I rapidly approach my 30's (in a few weeks) I am actually glad to say that I'm very much looking forward to it. The only thing that makes me ever so slightly nervous is… wrinkles.  But if there is one thing I have heard to help keep those at bay, it is exercise, eating whole foods and having a good basic skincare routine that you can build on.


So, at the end of the day and with all of my years of product testing, here are what I have found to be tried and true items (listed below) that I firmly believe will work for almost anyone, at any age, and with any type of skin. I also recommend that whatever you use on your face, you also should be able to use on your body. 


The Soap 
 Good ol' Dove, or Cetaphil in a pump
Both of these products I can use to wash my face and body. Both have been around for years and the benefits of "keeping it simple stupid" can be clearly seen with the users of these products.

The Toner  
Witch Hazel
This is a tried and true favourite for me. It helps with any redness and makes my skin super soft. I currently use the basic Thayers brand found at any GNC or health food store.

The Moisturizer
Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse (Multipurpose Dry Oil)
I am a huge fan of this product and of all dry oils. His is another example of a product that can be used on your face, hair and body.

The Under Eye  
(If i feel I need it, I will use it) Vitamin E
Get the real stuff! I get it in a small bottle or in little capsules from the health food store. I actually will use this on any red spots, super dry spots, under my eyes and on my eyelashes the odd time to help them stay strong. I only use this before I go to bed as it is very thick and kinda sticky.
 
The Spot Treatment 
Vichy Norma Derm Anti-blemish
I came across this product by total accident one time and haven't put it down since. If I have a blemish I will dab this on at night on the spot, go to bed and by the next morning I can see a big big improvement!

The Exfoliator  
Sugar & Salt
This is the best thing since sliced bread. I have a mix of sugar and salt that I keep in a glass jar in my bathroom with a little wooden scoop. When I need to exfoliate, I scoop a little out and drop it into my hand and roll it over my body. If you want to make it a little more fun, you can add liquid body wash to the sugar salt mix in your hand. I also use this mixture on my face as well. The salt helps to heal blemishes and redness and the sugar makes your skin SUPER smooth.

The Bath
Milk & Oatmeal
Once a week I like to treat myself to a homemade milk and oatmeal bath. Grab a cloth and soak it in milk for a few minutes, then grab a handful of oats and place them in the centre of the cloth. Take this cloth ball that you have now and tie it to facet of your bath. When you turn the water on it will run through the cloth creating a milk and oatmeal mixture in your water. You can add more milk to the bath after the fact if you desire. I sometimes also like to add a little honey to the water for a very soft sweet smell.

Share your own product recommendations or home remedies by commenting on this post.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Nuxe! I was in Shoppers and couldn't remember the name. I'm going to try this. :)

OOMPHLOVE All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger